Down memory lane. Plastic man part 1 1985

Gudge nonmember

Plastic pitches popped up in the early 80s QPR were the first to install one and Luton followed in 84 . It were’nt suited to long ball merchants so those who could play it around on the deck did alright on them i used to play on astro meself in the Islington midweek league burns a plenty on the old pins i can tell you.
The astroturf as it was well known came in handy in the winter of 84/85 when a lot of games were lost to the snow and ice , we were riding high at the top of the league early in the new year thanks to a 2-1 win at the old enemy in N5 on new years day { theres a photo on this site of the clock end going mad at the final whistle} great time following the Spurs top away days good firm following us and entertaining football .
Friday or saturday nights used to be down the pub then off to a club around this time i was heading down the Butchers arms near York way or occasionaly down to Eltons on Tottenham High rd , great sounds bit of Jazz funk, soul , groove with Patrice Rushen , D train , Change , Rene&Angela, Joyce sims , Level 42 and we used to pounce on the birds to the slower numbers hands going everywhere with the 10 to 2 sues smooching it to Loose ends and George Benson. By chucking out time if you were’nt with a richard you were probably kicking off with some small firm spent a few sobering up sessions in Hornsey nick with a plate of cold baked beans .
Luton away i always enjoyed this one even though it was only 30 miles North of London it felt and looked like a right manky Northern town . the season before we’d had a run in at the station with them after an entertaining 4-2 win with the great Ally Dick amongst the goalscorers.
Feb 85 we were lucky to beat the weather again thanks to the astro as we had at QPR just a few weeks earlier at a packed Loftus rd ended up on the pitch behind the goal at one point there were yids everywhere that day but thats enough of the Rs as plastic man part 2 will deal with them .
We missed the main mob at Pancras for the Luton game so set off back past Kentish town . when we got into Luton there were probably 15 lads who would be looking for trouble before the game . as we haeded down to the notorious Arndale we heard the shouts of come on then and we turned to see 40 odd blacks running at us , we knew they’d be tooled up and we gave it a jog to see if our main firm were nearby no fukin moblie phone bollocks back then . as we reached the main rd my mate got decked from nowhere and ended up flying we steamed into this small mob of white luton geezers with the blacks not far behind , one of the best rucks i’ve had and we chased this small mob back towards the ground with our main firm by now bowling down the high rd towards us we got together and the blacks were back on there toes into the Arndale obviously tools were’nt going to move 80 odd of us . my mate was in a bad way he’d hit the floor hard and was all over the place. An ambulance was parked up about 100yds and we carried me mate up to it , as the door opened there were 4 geezers already in there one with his ear hanging off he’d been sliced by luton as he walked from the station .
Me mate was in no fit state to watch the game so we bid farewell and headed up to the ground past all the Indian grocers who’d had there stalls turned over for probably the 10th time that season. By now the old bill were all over the place and we got hassled up the side rds which looked like coronation st by police horses and the old bill had enough lashing out with truncheons and feet . no wonder Millwall with half of London smashed the gaff up there 4 weeks later . It was a right hostile place at the time and Luton were getting a good name for themselves.
We were in that open end behind the goal and when we scored our 2nd ever when we scored our second it went mental eveyone surged towards the front and we started to climb over the barriers . One of our mates had seen it before and had enough he was crushed as a 12 yr old in 77 when we played em in the second division. The season before quite a few of our lads had got in there end that tiny stand behind one of the goals at least it had a roof . It kicked off for the first 30 mins in there i think the old bill were’nt in the mood for us going over the fences and drove us back. the game ended 2-2 we were still top but we were up for a revenge after the game for the slicings near the Arndale , we had 200 plus bowling around the dual carraigeways but Luton did’nt show. Then a couple of lads at the front jumped the fence and legged it across the road , one got hit by a motor and it looked like me mate who had earlier got decked , we were mortified thinking he’d be a goner now . luckily for us but not the fella who got hit it were’nt him. Me mate ended up in the Luton&Dunstable with concussion and a cut head but he got to see the game that night as the BBC had it on Match of the day. Back home to London town and up our local to discuss the days events.
Part 2 to follow QPR away 86

walshy member

fantastic!

Archibald nonmember

when i read ‘plastic man’ i thought this was going to be about the spaceman.

Bennofantapants nonmember

i thought it was going to be about chelsea

Gudge nonmember

@Archibald wrote:

leader knows the spaceman

thfc1883 nonmember

@Archibald wrote:

i thought that;s gonna be Ironman…. 😆

harry nonmember

was at these games and remember them well, spurs were right behind their goal,the open air end never had such capacity and the bottom floor of two houses had been taken out to make the entrance,remember hod scoring in a draw,he came on as sub cos he,d been up all night for the birth of his daughter and done what he does best from a free kick, i,m probably mixing years up here as seasons melt into 1, ossie making his 1st appearance after the falklands, i swear i,ve only been in a situation twice where i cudn,t get my arm out of a crush that day and hillsbourgh against wolves, blindin enjoyed your trip down memory lane, sunderland away night game league cup quarter,nearly got carved up and i still talk about it with pride, must be mad,

Gudge nonmember

remember the crush v wolves could ave been a nightmare like what happened years later. We were in the corner pen , some got taken round to the kop which we should ave had in the first place. That cun* Hibbet took a dive in the last minute turned out to be a blessing though as we took over Highbury in the replay on another glory glory night

Ozspur 1 halloffamer

love those gudge… nice.

Archibald nonmember

@Gudge wrote:

@Archibald wrote:

that’s who told me the story, then funnily enough, about 10mins later you did…

North Sydney nonmember

Great stuff Gudge………love your style :up:
I was at all those games you mentioned.I took my bird, now my wife to QPR away on our first date 😆 We ended up on the pitch because of the crush, then went in the Loft where it was going off all over the shop 😆

matts nonmember

Great stories you tell. Is Hindley St on a Saturday like the Arndale back then?

BTW it was Omniturf at QPR not Astroturf 😉

Gudge nonmember

@matts wrote:

Great stories you tell. Is Hindley St on a Saturday like the Arndale back then?

BTW it was Omniturf at QPR not Astroturf 😉

i’d change the topic to omniman part 1 but i’d be labelled a cheap champagne charlie i spose . I’ve had a few rucks in Adelaide unfortunatly in the 3 i’ve had im 2-1 down any more and i’ll be out the door .

Gudge nonmember

@Archibald wrote:

@Gudge wrote:

@Archibald wrote:

Aye Arch but you know me i do spout some shite

Archibald nonmember

@Gudge wrote:

@Archibald wrote:

@Gudge wrote:

@Archibald wrote:

“aye”?
“shite”?
you a secret jock or something now?

Lord Lane nonmember

@Archibald wrote:

@Gudge wrote:

@Archibald wrote:

@Gudge wrote:

@Archibald wrote:

“aye”?
“shite”?
you a secret jock or something now?

jockney must have been round his gaff for a cuppa.

Gudge nonmember

we had a few irn brus Friday night . call the polis

jockney nonmember

@Gudge wrote:

I believe you had more than a few iron bru’s,I spent the whole night ducking down incase I got hit with one of those stronbow arrows.Was in Daniel o’connells yesterday and got my jumper back.Wondered at the taxi rank friday why I was feeling so cold.good stuff.

Gudge nonmember

@jockney wrote:

@Gudge wrote:

I believe you had more than a few iron bru’s,I spent the whole night ducking down incase I got hit with one of those stronbow arrows.Was in Daniel o’connells yesterday and got my jumper back.Wondered at the taxi rank friday why I was feeling so cold.good stuff.

ave to do it again soon the end of the night was a bit hazy seemed everyone sloped off and left me to pester you , by the way i think i owe you an apple for the taxi

North Sydney nonmember

Memories of Highbury…….thought I would add it to one of Gudge’s memory lanes rather than start a new thread.
I probably went over to Highbury about a dozen times during the 70’s and 80’s about half of those visits watching Spurs play the scum and the other times with my Gooner mates when they had a game when you knew it was going to go off. Millwall in the FA Cup, West Ham in the cup and 1 league game. I even went to Sammy Nelson’s testimonial when it seemed like 25,000 Celtic fans descended on Highbury and took it over, they had all the Clock End and 2/3rds of the North Bank!!

I went in the North Bank on every occasion when they were playing Spurs, although one year I got chucked out of the NB and went round to the Clock End and paid to get back in again…..c*nts!

My fondest moments were seeing Graham Roberts smash Charlie Nicholas off the ball and into the Schoolboys enclosure 😆
Clive Allen scoring in front of the North Bank in the 87 League Cup semi final to win the game 1-0. Although we had stopped going in and taking the NB by then so me and any other yids who were in it that night kept our heads down when we scored 🙁
I remember a night testimonial game for one of their players,cant remember which one, when there were approx 10,000 yids out of a 18,000 crowd……Terry Nutter Naylor ran up to us in the NB and gave us all a big clap and fists up salute :clap:
I think the best time I ever had was when we beat the c*nts 3-1 in 1982, Micky Hazard and Garth Crooks x 2 were the scorers, it was the last year that we really took over the NB, under the covered middle section.
We went in there the following 2 seasons, lost both games,2-0 and 3-2 I think but we couldnt shift them anymore. The OB had started to suss all the yids out and it became Arsenal vouchers only to get in. Although in 84 I think there were hundreds of fake vouchers being handed out to all the Spurs firm.

I used to meet my lot usually at a well dodgy pub opposite Turnpike Lane tube. When we were all together we would get back on the tube for 1 more stop, Manor House and start the walk along Seven Sisters past Finsbury Park. One season we arrived just as the main Spurs firms had joined up and we walked down the middle of the road singing, over 500 strong. The Gooners couldnt do a thing about it. We split into smaller groups and went into various pubs, that year the Arsenal Tavern was wrecked 😆
They never took the piss at WHL like we did at Highbury. Yes they had thousands in the ground in 1971 when they won the double and they got onto the pitch at the final whistle, but they never once came into the Shelf.

Happy days 😉

Silver administrator

@North Sydney wrote:

Memories of Highbury…….thought I would add it to one of Gudge’s memory lanes rather than start a new thread.
I probably went over to Highbury about a dozen times during the 70’s and 80’s about half of those visits watching Spurs play the scum and the other times with my Gooner mates when they had a game when you knew it was going to go off. Millwall in the FA Cup, West Ham in the cup and 1 league game. I even went to Sammy Nelson’s testimonial when it seemed like 25,000 Celtic fans descended on Highbury and took it over, they had all the Clock End and 2/3rds of the North Bank!!

I went in the North Bank on every occasion when they were playing Spurs, although one year I got chucked out of the NB and went round to the Clock End and paid to get back in again…..c*nts!

My fondest moments were seeing Graham Roberts smash Charlie Nicholas off the ball and into the Schoolboys enclosure 😆
Clive Allen scoring in front of the North Bank in the 87 League Cup semi final to win the game 1-0. Although we had stopped going in and taking the NB by then so me and any other yids who were in it that night kept our heads down when we scored 🙁
I remember a night testimonial game for one of their players,cant remember which one, when there were approx 10,000 yids out of a 18,000 crowd……Terry Nutter Naylor ran up to us in the NB and gave us all a big clap and fists up salute :clap:
I think the best time I ever had was when we beat the c*nts 3-1 in 1982, Micky Hazard and Garth Crooks x 2 were the scorers, it was the last year that we really took over the NB, under the covered middle section.
We went in there the following 2 seasons, lost both games,2-0 and 3-2 I think but we couldnt shift them anymore. The OB had started to suss all the yids out and it became arse*** vouchers only to get in. Although in 84 I think there were hundreds of fake vouchers being handed out to all the Spurs firm.

I used to meet my lot usually at a well dodgy pub opposite Turnpike Lane tube. When we were all together we would get back on the tube for 1 more stop, Manor House and start the walk along Seven Sisters past Finsbury Park. One season we arrived just as the main Spurs firms had joined up and we walked down the middle of the road singing, over 500 strong. The Gooners couldnt do a thing about it. We split into smaller groups and went into various pubs, that year the arse*** Tavern was wrecked 😆
They never took the piss at WHL like we did at Highbury. Yes they had thousands in the ground in 1971 when they won the double and they got onto the pitch at the final whistle, but they never once came into the Shelf.

Happy days 😉

Though I don’t think I could live through some of the stuff, it would be a lot more exciting than going to prawn sarnie Emirates these days.

Makes me wish I was as old as you!

Gudge nonmember

@North Sydney wrote:

We went in there the following 2 seasons, lost both games,2-0 and 3-2 I think but we couldnt shift them anymore. The OB had started to suss all the yids out and it became arse*** vouchers only to get in. Although in 84 I think there were hundreds of fake vouchers being handed out to all the Spurs firm.

I used to meet my lot usually at a well dodgy pub opposite Turnpike Lane tube. When we were all together we would get back on the tube for 1 more stop, Manor House and start the walk along Seven Sisters past Finsbury Park. One season we arrived just as the main Spurs firms had joined up and we walked down the middle of the road singing, over 500 strong. The Gooners couldnt do a thing about it. We split into smaller groups and went into various pubs, that year the arse*** Tavern was wrecked 😆

Happy days 😉

first went in the Norf wank on a hot early season day in 80/81 but stood on the opposite corner to the yids , 82 when we one 3-1 with the ugly streaker i’ve mentioned elsewhere we were in the Norf wank i was with me bruv and a few of there goon mates when it kicked off but managed to get in with the our lot when a gap appeared and the ob steamed in , plenty of flying coins that afternoon . 85 what a knees up in the clock end when we went top on new years day , good ruck after on the hill outside the Avenell rd turnstiles , enjoyed that walk back up Holloway rd towards Tufnell park taking the piss out of the gooners what a way to start a new year .
The end of that season i went to Newcastle away on the may day holiday see me down memory lane for that one , 2 days later they had a Pat Jennings farewell game at Highbury and i missed it ,a lad i knew well from spurs was with a small mob of ours that got caught after the game , he came unstuck when it kicked off near a skip and was put on the deck , the goon bastards sliced his back from arse to head and done his face as well , his back was like a train track and he ended up with a couple of bad chivs on his cheek . he stopped going for a few months of the next season and became very nervous when it was kicking off around him as most would. He turned from a well game lad to a gentle giant .
That Sammy Nelson testimonial was midweek and we were coming out of school next to suicide bridge over the A1 Archway Rd , there were coachloads of green & white heading down the A1 which impressed the schoolboys no end being one of the biggest catholic comps in north London.
86 and 87 went in the west lower seats the year Chelsea turned up in the clock end , we used to have a good mix of spurs and scum in there we used to walk down from kentish town together , that semi was blinding when Clive popped one in we should ave done em more and blew it at home after leading 2-0 on agg with 45 mins left not to mention the fukin replay .
96 i think it was we were behind the goal in the clock end now seats and them pair of muppets Hartson and wright are winding us up , when they scored the penalty a whisky bottle missed hartson by inches would ave sparked him out then wright starts calling the ob over to us . seats went flying at the end and we were labelled a disgrace no different to them cun*ts ripping out our seats in the Park lane in 82 and 85.
there were those two black blokes ET and his bruv were’nt one a goon and the other used to run with us , also seen up Man city mixing with there lads could never trust em .
One good thing over Highbury apart from winning and taking it over during the semi final in 81 was the make money tarts , there were some good sorts amongst em

flip60 nonmember

remember going to pat rice testimonial in 76-77 ?i can remember it was warm and sunny and meeting in the manor house, about 500 of us strolled down to the ground not knowing how many spurs would turn up , when we got near the ground we kept seeing familiar faces everywhere. Got in the north bank and started making our way towards the middle when a huge cry of Tottenham came from the back of the nb and within 30 seconds we took it,took the piss again!!!!

jockney nonmember

What,Terry Naylor the ex player??I played occasional vets games with him around 97-98.He played for our vets for quite a while and I played when my regular games were not on.Like me,he liked a jug or two after the matches,but I was’nt as dirty as him.

Gudge nonmember

@jockney wrote:

What,Terry Naylor the ex player??I played occasional vets games with him around 97-98.He played for our vets for quite a while and I played when my regular games were not on.Like me,he liked a jug or two after the matches,but I was’nt as dirty as him.

and you did’nt hit the corner flag from 10yds out

jockney nonmember

@Gudge wrote:

@jockney wrote:

and you did’nt hit the corner flag from 10yds out

And that was with his boot. 😆

Gudge nonmember

@Gudge wrote:

@North Sydney wrote:

Happy days 😉

first went in the Norf w*nk on a hot early season day in 80/81 but stood on the opposite corner to the yids , 82 when we one 3-1 with the ugly streaker i’ve mentioned elsewhere we were in the Norf w*nk i was with me bruv and a few of there goon mates when it kicked off but managed to get in with the our lot when a gap appeared and the ob steamed in , plenty of flying coins that afternoon . 85 what a knees up in the clock end when we went top on new years day , good ruck after on the hill outside the Avenell rd turnstiles , enjoyed that walk back up Holloway rd towards Tufnell park taking the piss out of the gooners what a way to start a new year .
The end of that season i went to Newcastle away on the may day holiday see me down memory lane for that one , 2 days later they had a Pat Jennings farewell game at Highbury and i missed it ,a lad i knew well from spurs was with a small mob of ours that got caught after the game , he came unstuck when it kicked off near a skip and was put on the deck , the goon bastards sliced his back from arse to head and done his face as well , his back was like a train track and he ended up with a couple of bad chivs on his cheek . he stopped going for a few months of the next season and became very nervous when it was kicking off around him as most would. He turned from a well game lad to a gentle giant .
That Sammy Nelson testimonial was midweek and we were coming out of school next to suicide bridge over the A1 Archway Rd , there were coachloads of green & white heading down the A1 which impressed the schoolboys no end being one of the biggest catholic comps in north London.
86 and 87 went in the west lower seats the year Chelsea turned up in the clock end , we used to have a good mix of spurs and scum in there we used to walk down from kentish town together , that semi was blinding when Clive popped one in we should ave done em more and blew it at home after leading 2-0 on agg with 45 mins left not to mention the fukin replay .
96 i think it was we were behind the goal in the clock end now seats and them pair of muppets Hartson and wright are winding us up , when they scored the penalty a whisky bottle missed hartson by inches would ave sparked him out then wright starts calling the ob over to us . seats went flying at the end and we were labelled a disgrace no different to them cun*ts ripping out our seats in the Park lane in 82 and 85.
there were those two black blokes ET and his bruv were’nt one a goon and the other used to run with us , also seen up Man city mixing with there lads could never trust em .
One good thing over Highbury apart from winning and taking it over during the semi final in 81 was the make money tarts , there were some good sorts amongst em

Jennings farewell game 85

Gudge nonmember

rumour is that Luton are coming down mob handed to cause chaos at Barnet following their relegation to the conference, meeting in a boozer in New Barnet where a few goons i know drink. mate itk tells me Spurs and Millwall are going up there to greet them

Gudge nonmember

?

Gudge nonmember

kin plastics

Gudge nonmember

Only time i supported Luton was 88 league cup final when they turned over the goons 3-2 and Gus two bob Ceaser was made to look a right lemon. i turned up in our local wearing a straw luton boater hat as they were known as the hatters. Danced all night taking the piss until one of the cun*s set it alight as when me back was turned, wasted a pint of cider over me loaf to extinguish it , fukin classic days , continued the piss take up Manhatten lights and ended up getting in a barnet with one of their faces i went to school with ,years later saw his mug all over the press when they had it with Galatasary another blinding night when the gypos lost on penalties. Spurs never lost a European Final , those goon mugs ave lost 4

Gudge nonmember

Top away days down the kennel

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.